Monday, January 28, 2008

A Close Family

My dad's parents, Mary Alice and Harry, raised their family on a farm near Marcus, Iowa. They came from German and Pennsylvania Dutch background. The Neir family was a very close family with six of the seven children settling close to Marcus. Most of the families were at their folks for Sunday dinner and time together in the afternoon. There were five girls and they were all fine cooks. Good food was important in the Neir family. Through the years the family remained close through a yearly reunion. It seemed to me the family really enjoyed closeness, something I am grateful to see in our family. I am so thankful that our children enjoy getting together and coming home when they can. It seemed to me that talking about "spiritual" things in my dad's family was too personal to talk about openly. I think our family helped to change that after Roberta, John, and I were saved and had a burden for the Neir family. My dad's family were good, hard working people and I trust most of them trusted Christ. Some years ago after one of the reunions, I sent a letter to all the family explaining salvation and my concern that we would have a great reunion in heaven. I am thankful for this family background.

2 comments:

grammaneir said...

Good food WAS important in the Neir family and STILL IS!:)

Marilee We Roll Along said...

Your blogs are a priceless message for you children and grandchildren and such an inspiration to the rest of us re the impact that we can make in the lives of our families. Marilee