Friday, September 12, 2008

HOMESICK

When I went to Wheaton, one of the things I did not know about myself was that I would experience homesickness. I thought I was quite independent and never had a thought about that. Here I was in Chicago without a car(a freshman rule) and no plan to go home until Thanksgiving. I really did get homesick. I learned I was very tied to my Mom. Singing hymns in Sunday worship just brought tears. God used those days to draw me closer to Him and gave me an understanding of what homesickness felt like. I am very grateful for a close family and growing up in a safe home.

1 comment:

Marilee We Roll Along said...

I understand about "homesickness", too. I first experienced it when I was 10 and went to church camp. I thought that my heart would break as I missed my family so much! Everytime I looked at my suitcase I would see the clothes that my mother had so neatly packed. This made me miss her all the more--so I left them neatly packed and wore the same shorts outfit almost the whole week! I got profoundly homesick again many years later when I went to Girls' State at KU. It was kind of like being in the military and it must have been one of the longest weeks in my life. Again, when I went to Emporia State I thought that my heart would break. I survived but the acuteness and intensity of missing those one loves so very much are still quite vivid in my mind.